The Alhambra Chamber of Commerce advocates and represents business interests and issues affecting the community. It provides an environment to help members prosper and succeed through a working partnership with all levels of government and community organizations to achieve a prosperous local economy and quality of life. Our commitment to your business will ensure:
Although the City of Alhambra had a population of only 600 people when it was incorporated on July 11, 1903, its civic leaders already had a good idea of what it was going to take to assure a healthy economic future. Alhambra's main sources of income and employment were vineyards and citrus groves, but it was becoming increasingly clear that it would not be long before that would change as residents of nearby Los Angeles and other metropolitan areas turned their eyes toward the attractiveness of "country-style living."
Within a few months of the city's birth, the Alhambra Board of Trade was established on February 11, 1904, to begin its crucial role in the development and growth of Alhambra. The farsightedness of its founders became evident six years later when the population reached 5,000, large enough to create an emerging business community.
With the aid of the Board of Trade, the city continued to grow and prosper. On May 13, 1913, the Board was officially renamed the Alhambra Chamber of Commerce to better reflect its function as the voice of the business community, public relations arm of the city, and a helpful welcoming organization for new retail businesses, industries, and residents. It was also a response to the widening recognition of the city as the "Gateway to the San Gabriel Valley."
The Alhambra Chamber of Commerce has continued to enhance its important function as the guardian of the city's commercial and industrial well-being, now serving approximately 500 members and taking an active role in the city's redevelopment process.
On May 1, 1982, the Chamber became one of the few in California to own its building free and clear when it dedicated its two-story headquarters at 104 South First Street. Built on land donated from the estate of Will Forbes, the building is the result of donations of more than $160,000 in money, labor, and materials from the Chamber's members.
Today's Chamber has adapted to the changing business environment. The Chamber has championed existing business, supported emerging business, and recognized the vitality that the new immigrants have brought to the community. The Chamber maintains a supportive but separate posture from city government. In this response to the present and the future, the Chamber has become more active in monitoring civic and fiscal policies, and more sensitive to the necessary interaction of business, civic, and residential interests.
Over the years the Chamber has become a resource for residents, organizations, and business firms seeking information about Alhambra, the San Gabriel Valley, and all of Los Angeles County.